Home

Monday, February 23, 2015

A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren

A Solid 3.5.

Take aways, in no particular order: (1) How many successful women neither had a divorce nor lived apart from the husbands?  SHEESH!  Not exactly inspiring reading. (2) CONGRESS! It's kind of like House of Cards, but without the deaths.  I hope. It's depressing. (3) INEQUALITY! I liked the bit where she talked about how, in real wages, food and clothing prices have gone down enough that even though people are buying iphones, their real dollars spent are fairly constant. What is not constant are wages, which have been flat. (4) Foreclosures. I like that she has a heart, and is not willing to condemn folks just because they are broke. (5) Kids. It's nice that her kids were not the same, and she speaks to having some difficulty with her son without actually belittling him. Having kids is stressful, and to ignore it from one's professional life always seems like a hole. And YES! I have a double standard for men and women. Most women I know are involved in their kids lives, whereas I have worked for or with several men who seem to know as much about raising children as raising distant cousins. So sue me.

I listened to the audiobook. She was engaging for the listener.

No comments: